Sunday, June 12, 2011

Pony Express - June 12 2011


Greetings,

June 12, 2011 – Mud Springs to Melbeta, Nebraska – Last night we had a small thunderstorm and the rain softened the roads so that the horses had good footing during the morning.  I rode the half day, 28 miles, on Frank.  Frank was animated and full of energy.  After about thirteen miles, we met Cindy at a water stop and I put the bit in Frank's mouth.  I have not used a bit with Frank for almost two years.   The bit made a significant difference and we were able to ride with others without turning the group's pace into a full race.  I will likely use the bit with Frank for the next few trail days and see if the bit reduces Frank's energy to a more manageable level.  Frank's plan is to reach Nevada by tomorrow night and I need to readjust his expectations.

So far, I have ridden Frank 225 miles and Whiskey 200 miles and their shoes are starting to wear.  Frank wears his shoes down on the front outside edge on all four feet.  I have not looked at Whiskey's shoes that closely, but I think that Whiskey's wear is more even.  Both horses have significant hoof growth and I have an appointment with a farrier in Torrington Wyoming on Tuesday June 14th.

Tracy Blue found a hay source and we arranged to have hay brought by Melbeta.  I picked up two additional bales of grass hay.  I place the hay in the back tack compartment of my trailer and I can fit six bales in the back tack compartment.  Cindy and I are very satisfied with the hay storage in the back part of the trailer.  It is easy to store the hay and we have had no problems with the rain spoiling the hay.

Today we rode by Courthouse Rock, Jail Rock, and Chimney Rock.   Chimney Rock was a major landmark on the Pony Express Trail as well as on the Oregon, California, and Mormon Trails.  The California and Oregon Trails are on the south side of the North Platte River and the Mormon Trail was on the North side.  However, both trails closely followed the North Platte River.  We passed Chimney Rock in a day whereas Chimney Rock may have been in view for three days or more for the pioneers.  Our pace is fifty miles a day while the pioneers traveled ten to twenty miles in a day.  The Nebraska prairie may have seemed desolate to the early pioneers but to someone from SW Idaho, the Nebraska prairie is very good agricultural land.  It would have been something to see this country 150 years ago before the towns were settled and the land was wilderness.  Still, I am lucky to be able to see the land at our pace of fifty miles a day.

Last night we camped at Mud Springs.  Mud Springs was a Pony Express Station, a stage coach station, and a point on the first transcontinental telegraph.  Last night, I made cell phone calls from Mud Springs and thought how the technology has changed in 150 years.

Our trip today skirted the north side of the chalk cliffs south of the North Platte and we were in prime wheat and cattle country.  The farmland is beautiful and I am impressed with SW Nebraska.  The weather has been good to us but I can imagine very hot summer days and bitter cold winters.  Our trip has been blessed with cool and pleasant weather.

Best Regards,
Tom N




1 comment:

  1. I love this line! "Frank's plan is to reach Nevada by tomorrow night and I need to readjust his expectations."

    I lived in SW Nebraska, about 80 miles south of North Platte, for about 8 years. While much of NE was beautiful, I could only take the snakes, weather, economy for so long. I am loving your blog, I got the link on Ridecamp.

    ReplyDelete